Tanner Strickland Lenart
257 East 200 South, Suite 1100
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Tanner focuses her practice on regulatory matters before state and local governments, primarily the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Services. Tanner represents clients in matters relating to beverage alcohol regulation, which includes a wide range of restaurants, hotels and entertainment establishments, as well as breweries, wineries, distilleries, wholesalers and importers, on legal, regulatory, and legislative matters. Tanner regularly counsels those involved in buying and selling businesses with alcohol licenses in Utah in relation to management agreements, licensing and permitting, and operational issues.
Tanner began as an associate at Christensen & Jensen in 2013 and has been Special Counsel since 2018. Prior to law school, Tanner was a bartender in Oxford, England and Wanaka, New Zealand. While in law school, she was a ski instructor at Park City.
AREAS OF PRACTICE:
Restaurants/Hospitality and Alcohol Beverage Licensing & Compliance:
- Negotiate settlements with DABC for violations
- Assists with liquor license applications
- Advises clients regarding DABC policy, procedure, and best practices
- Procured client's special use liquor permit with a waiver allowing additional alcohol to be served
- Handled multiple sales of liquor licenses, representing both buyers and sellers
- Consulted on obscure questions of liquor law regarding gift baskets, gift cards, and employee discounts for local and national clients
- Drafted compromise language for HB442, enacting sweeping changes in Utah liquor law, with Salt Lake Restaurant Association
- "What's on sale at the liquor store this June, and other alcohol news" - Gastronomic SLC - May 26, 2021
- "Utah Brewers Guild Seminar Speaker Re: Working with the DABC" - Utah Brewers Guild - February 25, 2020
- "This Poll's for You " - City Weekly - January 9, 2019
- "Utah Booze News' podcast Celebrate Repeal Day with a shot of history and answers to your liquor questions" - Salt Lake Tribune - December 5, 2019
- "Spirit Guide 2019 - Our fourth annual guide to all things booze in the Beehive" - City Weekly - October 16, 2019
- "Zion Curtains & Ceilings, Revisiting .05" - Utah Booze News: An Alcohol Policy Podcast - May 15, 2019
- "The Utah Liquor Lawyer: Tanner Lenart" - Utah Grape and Grain, January 3, 2019
- "Salt Lake City liquor lawyer turns those maligned ‘This Is a Restaurant, Not a Bar’ signs into art" - Salt Lake Tribune, November 15, 2018
- "Best of Utah" - Salt Lake City Weekly - Best of Utah 2018
- "The Politics of Utah's Alcohol Laws" - Crafty Beer Girls - November 4, 2018
- "Her Best Shot: Attorney Tanner Lenart interprets Utah's peculiar liquor laws so the rest of us don't have to." Salt Lake City Weekly - May 2, 2018
- "The New Utah Podcast" - Utah's liquor laws - Episode 96 March, 2018
- “Sweeping changes for Utah’s liquor laws;” Utah Business Magazine, March 2017
LECTURES AND PUBLICATIONS:
- Presenter of the Wine Law Virtual Course (Bartender Skills National CLM)
- Presenter, "Geocaching and CLE" at the Utah State Summer Bar Convention, 2019.
- Panelist, "Liquor and Mormons" at the Salt Lake Summer Sunstone Symposium, 2019.
- Panelist, "Utah Liquor Law Panel," Utah Bartender's Guild, March 2019.
- “An Expert for All Seasons,” Utah Bar Journal, March 2014.
- Panelist, “Setting Yourself Up for Success,” Women’s Law Caucus, April 2014.
- Speaker, “Help Them Help You: Dealing with the DABC,” Franchise Section of the Utah State Bar CLE, February 2014.
- Panelist, “Networking Skills,” Mentoring Marathon, Young Lawyer’s Division of the Utah State Bar, January 2014.
- University of Utah, J.D., 2011
- American Graduate School of International Relations, 2004
- Furman University, B.A., 2001
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & ADMISSIONS:
- Admitted to practice in all Utah state courts and the United States District Court for the District of Utah
- Admitted to the United States Court of Federal Claims
- Utah State Bar Sections: Young Lawyers Division, Litigation, Women Lawyers of Utah, Salt Lake County
- Advisory Board Member, Salt Lake Area Restaurant Association
- Board Member, Books From Barristers
- American Inns of Court, Pupilage Group Leader
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Utah State Bartender’s Guild
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Christensen & Jensen, P.C., 2013 – present
- Pia Anderson Dorius Reynard Moss, LLC, 2012-2013
- Orange Legal, 2011-2012
- Eisenberg & Gilchrist (clerk) 2010-2011
- Hare, Wynn, Newell & Newton (clerk) 2009
- Printingforless.com (Sales Manager) 2005-2010