George is an AV-rated trial lawyer who represents individuals and businesses in all aspects of litigation, negotiation and dispute resolution including trials, arbitration, and mediation. He has represented businesses ranging in size from sole proprietors to Fortune 500 companies in litigation involving contract disputes, disputes between owners, non-compete agreements, tortious interference with economic relations, unfair competition, product liability and wrongful termination. He has successfully defended attorneys, accountants, engineers, title companies, title and escrow officers, real estate agents and brokers, appraisers and other professionals who have been sued for malpractice. George has also represented plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of contract, personal injury and wrongful death cases.
George evaluates cases early and implements strategies to meet his clients' objectives. He has resolved many cases through early negotiation or mediation, and has had frequent success getting claims dismissed through motions. George has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts and does not hesitate to take a case to trial when it is in his client's best interests.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Commercial and Business Litigation:
Represents clients ranging in size from international corporations to small startup businesses in contract disputes, non-compete agreements, tortious interference with economic relations, unfair competition, product liability and claims of errors or omissions. Recent representative matters include:
- Won six-figure jury verdict in a breach of contract case.
- Won 7-day jury trial defending a small business accused of having caused a fire that destroyed a commercial building.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal without payment of claims against dentist accused of unfair competition, violation of the Utah Trade Secrets Act and conversion.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of claims against halogen lamp manufacturer alleged to have started a fire that destroyed the plaintiffs’ home.
- Won 4-day jury trial on claims for invasion of privacy against a small business.
- Obtained favorable verdict in Fair Debt Collections Practices Act jury trial.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order against former employees of a Fortune 500 company for violation of a non-compete agreement.
- Obtained judgment terminating a member's membership interest in a limited liability company.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal, without payment, of a products liability lawsuit against a client who sold a product with a claimed defect.
- Obtained summary judgment for client who was sued by former employee for wrongful termination.
Represents accountants, lawyers, real estate appraisers, real estate agents, title and escrow companies, insurance agents and brokers, and other professionals in malpractice matters. Representative matters include:
- Resolved legal malpractice claims against a law firm and avoided the law firm being named in the lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a title company defending claims of breach of fiduciary duty and third party beneficiary breach of contract.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an escrow agent on a breach of fiduciary duty claim.
- Obtained summary judgment in Fair Debt Collections Practices Act claim against a law firm which was upheld by the Tenth Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an accounting firm defending a professional negligence claim arising out of the sale of a business.
Represents both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving catastrophic injury and wrongful death. Representative matters include:
- Won 5-day jury trial defending a business accused of injuring a plaintiff in an accident where the plaintiff claimed $1.4 million in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment defending a road construction company accused of failing to properly close a portion of a highway that was under construction.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal without payment of all claims against a sprinkler box manufacturer accused of producing a defective product that caused the plaintiff to fall.
George has preresented parties buying and selling real estate: megotiated, drafted and reviewed commercial lease agreements; assisted parties negotiating and enforcing real estate purchase contracts; Litigated boundary disputes and restrictive covenants; prepared and reviewed loan security documents; reviewed title policies and exceptions; filed liens; and performed judicial and non-judicial foreclosures.
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- "Legal Elite," Civil Trial, Civil Litigation, Utah Business Magazine, 2006 – present
- “Super Lawyer,” Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2012 - present
- University of Utah College of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Utah, Master of Public Administration, 1995
- Weber State College, B.S., history major, chemistry minor, 1989
LECTURES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, "Avoiding Legal Malpractices: Avoiding Professional and Ethical Pitfalls," Utah State Bar, June 2015
- Speaker, "Dissecting Depositions: 30(b)(6) Deposition Techniques" Utah Bar Litigation Section, September 2014
- Speaker, "Effective Use of Technology at Trial," Utah Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, May 2013
- Co-author, "Non-Competition Agreements in Utah, DRI Trade Secrets and Agreements Not to Compete Compendium," Defense Research Institute, 2012
- Speaker, "View from the Hiring Partner's Chair: Interviewing Techniques," BYU Law School Skills Training Course, September 2011 & August 2010
- Moderator, "Evening with the Third District Court" Utah Bar Litigation Section, January 2011
- Speaker, "Starting Smart and Finishing Strong – Opening Statements and Closing Arguments," Utah Bar Annual Convention, July 2010
- Speaker, "Controlling and Reducing Litigation Expenses," Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, Winter CLE & Ski '09, February 2009
- Admitted to practice in all Utah state and federal courts, and Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Utah State Bar, 1993 - present
- Litigation Section Executive Committee, 2003 - 2017
- Secretary 2009 - 2011
- Treasurer 2011 - 2012
- Vice Chair 2012 - 2013
- Chair 2013 - 2014
- New Lawyer Training Program Mentor, 2009 - 2014
- Salt Lake County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Utah Defense Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
SELECTED REPORTED CASES
- Walker v. Anderson, Oliver Title Insurance Agency, 309 P.3d 267, 2013 UT App 202 (Professional negligence and intentional interference with economic relations)
- Maynard v. Cannon, 401 Fed.Appx. 389 (10th Cir. 2010) (Fair Debt Collections Practices Act)
- UBS Bank USA v. Wolstein Business Enterprises, L.P., Case No. 2:08-cv-0911, 2011 WL 129868 (D. Utah 2011) (breach of contract)
- Macintosh v. Staker Paving and Const. Co., 2009 UT App 96 (negligence)
- Blackner v. Utah Department of Transportation, 2002 UT 44, 48 P.3d 949 (governmental immunity)
- Robinson v. State of Utah, 2001 UT 21, 20 P.3d 396 (inverse condemnation)
- Sweetwater Park Homeowners' Association Board of Directors