Transportation law is a vast practice area that presents both broad and narrow issues of the law for those involved in the transportation industry. As a result, transportation attorneys must be well versed in state, federal, and even local transportation laws, whether it be in relation to entire transport systems or more narrow issues related to single transportation entities.
A transportation attorney may be called on to consult or undertake representation of a myriad of clients, including: motor carriers; the passenger, air, water and rail transportation segments of the transportation and logistics industries; and third-party logistics providers. More specifically, potential clients include private fleets, commercial vessels, airlines (both passenger and commercial), couriers, package, truckload, less-than-truckload, liquid and dry bulk carriers, public transit authorities and the barge and shipping industries. In addition to the direct suppliers, potential transportation clients include the users of such services; i.e., industry insurers, transportation brokers, freight forwarders and the like.
No matter how hyper-vigilant a transportation company is, there is always the chance that at a moment’s notice a crisis may arise. Accordingly, Christensen & Jensen’s transportation law attorneys are prepared to provide an immediate response and crisis management services for their transportation industry clients, as well as coming to the aid of those injured or otherwise impacted by the transportation industry. The initial hours and days after a transportation accident or other catastrophe are vital from a liability management standpoint for those in the transportation industry, and Christensen & Jensen’s transportation attorneys are ready to hit the ground running to defend against transportation claims. Furthermore, because of our firm’s significant experience in personal injury, we are uniquely positioned to understand both sides of the injury equation, whether it be from the personal injury side or the transportation side.
Christensen & Jensen’s transportation law attorneys have wide experience representing transportation clients and/or individuals in transportation disputes before both state and federal courts. Our attorneys understand the transportation industry through and through, whether it involves issues of delivery, transport, or receipt of commercial goods in intrastate, interstate, and foreign commerce.
Transportation Law services provided by Christensen & Jensen include:
- Cargo claims
- Civil litigation
- Compliance issues with existing federal and state laws
- Emergency response and crisis management
- Environmental law
- General corporate matters
- Independent contractor issues
- Insurance coverage
- Jones Act
- Labor and employment law
- Liability defense
- Mergers, acquisitions and corporate structuring
- Monitoring of proposed and pending legislation
- Personal injury and property damage claims
- Real estate transactions
- Risk management
- Transportation and logistics contracts
- Workers’ compensation
Representative matters include:
- Represented some of the United States’ largest trucking companies in numerous large and small cases arising out of accidents in Utah
- Served as Utah counsel for the state’s largest waste disposal companies
- Served as Utah panel counsel for several insurance companies that provide insurance to the transportation industry
- Represented trucking company in claims for damage to cargo and truck
- Litigated several cases involving MCS-90 endorsements
- Defended claim that truck driver caused serious accident by failing to mark location of truck after colliding with cow
- Litigated co-employee immunity doctrine in accident involving owner-operator
- Tried a case involving cargo damage from defective refrigeration truck
- Defended truckers in collision cases
Christensen & Jensen’s transportation law attorneys are longtime members of the Association for Transportation Law Professionals, the Transportation Practice Group of ALFA International, and the Utah Trucking Association.