Christensen & Jensen Attorneys
Timothy J. Curtis
15 West South Temple, Suite 800,
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Send Timothy A Message
Tim was successfully recruited by the firm in 2011, before which he was a partner at a boutique civil litigation firm with offices in Salt Lake City, Utah and Phoenix, Arizona. Tim’s practice focuses on the resolution of complex civil litigation matters including personal injury, construction, insurance coverage analysis and bad faith litigation, product liability, professional liability and transportation claims.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Construction: Represents general contractors, subcontractors and product suppliers in a variety of construction related cases with an emphasis on construction defect claims. Representative matters include:
- Successfully defended general contractor against claims by homeowner following a fire that occurred late in the construction process; obtained compensation for the contractor for lost profits and other expenses
- Obtained dismissal of $1 million construction defect claims against a general contractor of a large Planned Unit Development (PUD)
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of claims against general contractor in a construction defect/catastrophic fire loss case
- Obtained dismissal of negligence and breach of warranty claims against a general contractor in a residential construction action
- Obtained dismissal of claims against roofing subcontractor client in construction defect case
Commercial Litigation: Represents local, national and international companies in commercial litigation matters and contract disputes. Representative matters include:
- Enforced multimillion dollar asset purchase agreement
- Enforced non-competition agreements on behalf of multiple corporations
- Provided counsel and litigation support to international marketing company that began as a Utah company
Professional Liability: Counsels and represents real estate professionals including developers, real estate brokers and appraisers in professional liability matters. Has successfully defended real estate professionals in claims involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, negligence, and tortious interference, among others. Representative matters include:
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of claims against real estate professional alleging fraud, breach of contract, and professional negligence
- Resolved claims against real estate professional for less than 1% of the amount originally sought by disgruntled former client with no administrative penalties
Insurance: Represents insurance companies in coverage disputes and bad faith claims; provides opinions and analysis to insurance carriers in a wide range of liability and first-party coverage, including personal and commercial lines, commercial property, and excess and surplus lines. Representative matters include:
- Obtained declaratory judgment in favor of commercial property insurer and defended insurer against multiple counterclaims including bad faith
- Provided numerous coverage opinions to insurers under CGL policies relating to contractor liability
- Provided numerous coverage opinions on whether persons or entities are insureds or additional insureds under CGL, garage owner and commercial automobile policies
- “Legal Elite,” Insurance, Utah Business, 2008, 2011
- University of Utah, J.D. 2004
- Weber State University, B.S. in Political Science, 2001
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND ADMISSIONS
- Admitted to practice in all Utah and Arizona state and federal courts
- Utah State Bar
- Arizona State Bar
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association, Litigation, Construction Litigation, and Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Sections
SELECT REPORTED CASES
- John Holmes Const., Inc., v. R.A. McKell Excavating, Inc., 2005 UT 83, 131 P.3d 199 (holding that infrastructure improvements to a residential subdivision were not improvement to a “residence,” for purposes of mechanics' lien statute)
- Ellison v. Stam, 2006 UT App. 150, 136 P.3d 1242 (interpreting elements of civil stalking statute)
- In re A.B., 2007 UT App. 286, 168 P.3d 820 (affirming ruling in favor of client in parental rights termination proceeding)
- Alder, Nathan D.
- Balmanno, Alain C.
- Boyd, Scot A.
- Burbidge II, George W.
- Christensen, Roger P.
- Curtis, Timothy J.
- Evans, Scott T.
- Ferguson, Phillip S.
- Goebel, Heidi G.
- Hansen, William J.
- Haslam, Geoffrey C.
- Hill, Rebecca L.
- Humpherys, L. Rich
- Jenkins, Eric K.
- Kelson, Stephen D.
- Kiburtz, Kristen C.
- Kunz II, Barton H.
- Lambert, Dale J.
- Lenart, Tanner Strickland.
- Macfarlane, Kelly H.
- Porter, Karra J.
- Richards, David C.
- Shapiro, Ruth A.
- Snow, Tyler V.
- Spencer, Sarah E.
- Thuet, Heather L.
- White, Gabriel K.
- White, Nathan R.