Christensen & Jensen Attorneys
Kelly H. Macfarlane
15 West South Temple, Suite 800,
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Send Kelly A Message
Kelly is a senior litigation and trial attorney who serves as Vice-President of the Firm and as a member of the Executive Committee. He began his career working for insurance companies and gained an expertise in insurance law and litigation that has served as the backbone of his practice. In 1995, he shifted his practice to primarily representing injured persons. This has included handling several catastrophic injury cases and insurance bad faith claims. He also concentrates on representing self insured product manufacturers nationwide, using this expertise to the advantage of his clients who have been injured by certain products.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Personal Injury / Product Liability: Litigation and settlement of tough insurance law disputes, product liability, catastrophic injuries, and the reduction of liens on personal injury cases. In just the last 5 years, Kelly helped clients who were injured in accidents or by defective products collect over 19 million dollars $19,000,000. His product liability practice has required him to litigate in 22 states. Throughout his career, he has represented clients in many wrongful death cases, quadriplegic cases, multiple limb amputations, catastrophic brain injury cases and insurance policy limit demands.
Commercial and Business Litigation: Representing corporations nationwide with respect to contractual disputes and business transactions involving asset purchases, negotiation of terms and liability issues. Representative work includes:
- Participated in the negotiation and sale of a nationwide playground and trampoline manufacturer.
- Participated in the transfer of a sport division manufacturing mini basketball systems.
- Negotiated and completed the sale of an online tax company and software program company to a multibillion dollar corporation.
- Negotiated and completed contract negotiations for a multimillion dollar corporation to service accounts of a large health club franchise corporation.
- Handling numerous contract disputes and litigation to resolution for each of these entities.
- Staff member of the Utah Law Review 1986-87
- Weber State College, Ogden, Utah B.S. 1984; Cum Laude, Most Outstanding Graduate of the School of Economics, Most Outstanding Male Graduate in the School of Business
- Dixie State College, St. George, Utah A.S. 1982
- Presenter: “Automobile Insurance Law” for the Legal Assistants Association of Utah 2000
- Presenter: “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Utah” Taggart Symposium for Insurance and Financial Planners at Brigham Young University 1997
- Chairman of the Board, Phoenix Services, Inc. an organization specializing in the assistance of traumatic brain injury patients being reintroduced into society as functioning individuals
- Admitted to practice in the Utah state courts, U.S. District Court, District of Utah, U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court
- Member, Utah State Bar Litigation Section
- Alder, Nathan D.
- Balmanno, Alain C.
- Boyd, Scot A.
- Burbidge II, George W.
- Christensen, Roger P.
- Curtis, Timothy J.
- Evans, Scott T.
- Ferguson, Phillip S.
- Goebel, Heidi G.
- Hansen, William J.
- Haslam, Geoffrey C.
- Hill, Rebecca L.
- Humpherys, L. Rich
- Jenkins, Eric K.
- Kelson, Stephen D.
- Kiburtz, Kristen C.
- Kunz II, Barton H.
- Lambert, Dale J.
- Lenart, Tanner Strickland.
- Macfarlane, Kelly H.
- Porter, Karra J.
- Richards, David C.
- Shapiro, Ruth A.
- Snow, Tyler V.
- Spencer, Sarah E.
- Thuet, Heather L.
- White, Gabriel K.
- White, Nathan R.
- Business Torts
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Crisis Management
- Directors and Officers (D&O) Liability
- Financial Services Litigation
- Insurance (commercial)
- Insurance Bad Faith and Coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury and Property Damage (plaintiff)
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability (E&O) and Malpractice
- Qui tam / False Claims Act
- Unfair Trade Practices and Unfair Competition