Christensen & Jensen Attorneys
George W. Burbidge II
15 West South Temple, Suite 800,
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Send George A Message
George is an AV rated trial lawyer who has practiced law in Utah since 1993. He joined Christensen & Jensen in 2001, and was elected a shareholder in 2006. His practice focuses on commercial litigation, professional liability, real estate, and personal injury trial practice, representing both plaintiffs and defendants. He has consistently been named by Utah Business magazine as among Utah’s “Legal Elite” in the Civil Trial category. He is co-chair of the firm’s Real Estate practice group and has chaired the hiring committee since 2007.
Now available: 2013 George Burbidge Limited Edition Calendar: "We’ll Always Have Paris”.
Download the PDF here.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Commercial and Business Litigation: Represents clients ranging in size from international corporations to small startup businesses in contractual disputes, agency liability actions and claims of errors or omissions. Recent representative matters include:
- Won 7-day jury trial defending a small business accused of having caused a fire that destroyed a commercial building
- Obtained voluntary dismissal without payment of claims against dentist accused of unfair competition, violation of the Utah Trade Secrets Act and conversion.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of claims against halogen lamp manufacturer alleged to have started a fire that destroyed the plaintiffs’ home
- Won 4-day jury trial on claims for invasion of privacy against a small business
- Obtained favorable verdict in Fair Debt Collections Practices Act jury trial
- Obtained a temporary restraining order against former employees of a Fortune 500 company for violation of a non-compete agreement
- Obtained judgement terminating a member's membership interest in a limited liability company
Professional Liability: Represents accountants, lawyers, real estate appraisers, real estate agents, title and escrow companies, insurance agents and brokers, and other professionals in malpractice matters. Representative matters include:
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a title company defending claims of breach of fiduciary duty and third party beneficiary breach of contract.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of an escrow agent on a breach of fiduciary duty claim.
- Obtained summary judgment in Fair Debt Collections Practices Act claim against a law firm which was upheld by the Tenth Circuit
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an accounting firm defending a professional negligence claim arising out of the sale of a business.
Real Estate: Represents parties in negotiating, buying, selling, and leasing real estate. Representative matters include:
- Negotiated, drafted and reviewed commercial lease agreements
- Assisted parties negotiating and enforcing real estate purchase contracts
- Prepared and reviewed loan security documents
- Performed judicial and non-judicial foreclosures
- Reviewed title policies and exceptions
- Assisted with $20,000,000 land purchase for a commercial development, including review of loan documentation and transferring water rights
Personal Injury: Represents both plaintiffs and defendants in catastrophic injury action: Representative matters include
- Won 5-day jury trial defending a business accused of injuring the plaintiff in a towing accident causing $1.4 million in damages
- Obtained summary judgement defending a construction company accused of failing to properly close a portion of the road that was under construction
- Obtained voluntary dismissal without payment of all claims against a sprinkler box manufacturer accused of producing a defective product that caused the plaintiff to fall
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbel
- "Legal Elite," Civil Trial, Utah Business magazine, 2006 – present
- “Super Lawyer,” Mountain States Super Lawyers
- University of Utah College of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Utah, Master of Public Administration, 1995
- Weber State College, B.S., history major, chemistry minor, 1989
LECTURES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-author, "Non-Competition Agreements in Utah, DRI Trade Secrets and Agreements Not to Compete Compendium," Defense Research Institute, 2012
- Speaker, "View from the Hiring Partner's Chair: Interviewing Techniques," BYU Law School Skills Training Course, September 2011.
- Moderator, "Evening with the Third District Cout" Utah Bar Litigation Section, January 2011.
- Speaker, "View from the Hiring Partner's Chair: Interviewing Techniques," BYU Law School Skills Training Course, August 2010.
- Speaker, "Starting Smart and Finishing Strong – Opening Statements and Closing Arguements," Utah Bar Annual Convention, July 2010.
- Speaker, "Using Technology at Trial," Utah Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, September, 2009.
- Speaker, "Controlling and Reducing Litigation Expenses," Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, Winter CLE & Ski '09, February 2009.
- Moderator, "Evening with the Third District Court," Utah Bar Litigation Section, October, 2007.
- Admitted to practice in all Utah state and federal courts, and Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Utah State Bar, Litigation Section (Executive Committee, 2003 - present; Secretary 2009-2011; Treasurer 2011 – present)
- Salt Lake County Bar Association
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Utah Defense Lawyers Association
SELECTED REPORTED CASES
- Maynard v. Cannon, 401 Fed.Appx. 389 (10th Cir. 2010) (Fair Debt Collections Practices Act)
- UBS Bank USA v. Wolstein Business Enterprises, L.P., Case No. 2:08-cv-0911, 2011 WL 129868 (D. Utah 2011) (granting summary judgment to bank client on grounds that alleged oral modification of line of credit was barred by statute of frauds)
- Macintosh v. Staker Paving and Const. Co., 2009 UT App 96
- Blackner v. Utah Department of Transportation, 2002 UT 44, 48 P.3d 949
- Robinson v. State of Utah, 2001 UT 21, 20 P.3d 396 (inverse condemnation)
- Alder, Nathan D.
- Balmanno, Alain C.
- Boyd, Scot A.
- Burbidge II, George W.
- Christensen, Roger P.
- Curtis, Timothy J.
- Evans, Scott T.
- Ferguson, Phillip S.
- Goebel, Heidi G.
- Hansen, William J.
- Haslam, Geoffrey C.
- Hill, Rebecca L.
- Humpherys, L. Rich
- Jenkins, Eric K.
- Kelson, Stephen D.
- Kiburtz, Kristen C.
- Kunz II, Barton H.
- Lambert, Dale J.
- Lenart, Tanner Strickland.
- Macfarlane, Kelly H.
- Porter, Karra J.
- Richards, David C.
- Shapiro, Ruth A.
- Snow, Tyler V.
- Spencer, Sarah E.
- Thuet, Heather L.
- White, Gabriel K.
- White, Nathan R.