Christensen & Jensen Attorneys
Scot A. Boyd
15 West South Temple, Suite 800,
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Send Scot A Message
Scot joined Christensen & Jensen as an associate in 2003, and became a shareholder in 2010. The firm was especially interested in recruiting Scot because of his extensive business background: Prior to embarking on his legal career, Scot utilized his business degree in two different stints in the lending/mortgage industry, and seven years in the retail industry, rising to the position of general manager of a regional sports-specific company. Scot’s experience offers unique insight into how businesses are impacted by the law, and the importance of approaching issues from a business as well as a legal perspective.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Commercial Law and Litigation: Advises businesses and individuals in commercial matters and disputes. Especially enjoys acting as general counsel for businesses, helping clients with a wide variety of needs. Representative matters include:
- Obtained $1 million jury verdict in fraud case against multinational corporation
- Won favorable arbitration award for 100+ claimants in Utah Pattern of Unlawful Activity Act case
- Successfully avoided claim by sports entertainment company alleging unauthorized interception of commercial broadcast
- As general counsel to franchisor, advised and resolved a variety of issues involving franchisees and others
- Successfully defended trade secret claims against manufacturer client
- Obtained favorable resolution for travel agency in trade secret / non-competition claim
- Represented defendant business in cybersquatting lawsuit
- Represented 30 workers in pension dispute with former employer
Crisis Management: Assists businesses and individuals in sensitive and emergent situations, often requiring expedited and discreet intervention. Representative matters include:
- Negotiated non-prosecution agreement in toxic waste disposal matter
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of claim against client relating to alleged celebrity endorsement agreement
- Forced removal of website containing defamatory statements about client
- Forestalled litigation in sensitive claim alleging sexual harassment by member of business owner’s family
- Forced removal of website containing defamatory statements about client whistleblower actions
Personal Injury, Plaintiff and Defense: Represents injured persons in select whistleblower actions, personal injury actions, and also represents defendants. Representative matters include:
- Represented whistleblower in a liquid mercury spill cover up
- Defended and obtained voluntary dismissals in numerous cases alleging that clients manufactured defective asbestos-containing products
- Represented special needs plaintiff in traumatic car accident
- Represented patient severely injured by physical therapy table
- Represented injured driver in Underinsured Motorist insurance dispute
- University of Utah College of Law, Salt Lake City, Utah - Juris Doctor, May 2002
- Boise State University, Boise, Idaho - Advanced courses in Mathematics and Secondary Education, 1994-1996
- Tri-State University, Angola, Indiana - Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, November 1989.
- Boyle v. Christensen, 2011 UT 20, 251 P.3d 810 (representing pedestrian struck by pickup truck; ended defense tactic of bringing up “the McDonald’s coffee case” to juries)
- Advanced Restoration, LLC. v. Priskos, 2005 UT App 505, 126 P.3d 786 (representing tenant in dispute over liability for repairs)
- Burgett v. Utah Valley Veterinary Hospital, 97 Fed.Appx. 874 (10th Cir. 2004) (representing employer in alleged discrimination case)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & ADMISSIONS
- Admitted to practice in all Utah state and federal courts, and Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Utah State Bar, Franchise Law Section
- Utah Defense Lawyers Association
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2009-2011
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preemenint Peer rating
- Alder, Nathan D.
- Balmanno, Alain C.
- Boyd, Scot A.
- Burbidge II, George W.
- Christensen, Roger P.
- Curtis, Timothy J.
- Evans, Scott T.
- Ferguson, Phillip S.
- Goebel, Heidi G.
- Hansen, William J.
- Haslam, Geoffrey C.
- Hill, Rebecca L.
- Humpherys, L. Rich
- Jenkins, Eric K.
- Kelson, Stephen D.
- Kiburtz, Kristen C.
- Kunz II, Barton H.
- Lambert, Dale J.
- Lenart, Tanner Strickland.
- Macfarlane, Kelly H.
- Porter, Karra J.
- Richards, David C.
- Shapiro, Ruth A.
- Snow, Tyler V.
- Spencer, Sarah E.
- Thuet, Heather L.
- White, Gabriel K.
- White, Nathan R.